WELCOME!

I'm Walt. And I'm Marie Elena.
This is the collaboration of two kindred spirits; partners in rhyme;
"the best friends we've never met."
All "Across the Lake. Eerily."

Friday, March 26, 2010

GRANDMA'S STOVE













Oh, there you are.

I knew you would show up eventually. They all do.
You look wonderful.
Just look at your hair … silky and, well … melodious.

As you wanted, we put our names in
For the items we desired.
Do you see? Your tea cups adorn my china cabinet.
They need to be used, don’t you think?
They need to be used.
The double hurricane lamp graces our front window --
lovely and welcoming.

When my name was drawn for your stove,
I gasped.
Keith put in a gas line for me, and drove
across the state to pick it up.
The first time I lit it, your kitchen permeated my home.
And every time after.

I was the lucky one. Blessed, actually.

And the unlucky one.
We couldn’t take it with us when we moved.
Couldn’t we have figured out a way?
Now it is too late.

I knew you would show up eventually. They all do.

Missing you, Grandma.

Marie Elena

No comments:

Post a Comment