WELCOME!

I'm Walt. And I'm Marie Elena.
This is the collaboration of two kindred spirits; partners in rhyme;
"the best friends we've never met."
All "Across the Lake. Eerily."

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

BEFORE THE STORM

How strangely still
the water is today.
Calm and tranquil, strangely still.

Clouds upon the horizon,
harbingers of things to come;
clouds obliterate the sun.

The air is cold; it chills,
winds stirring through the clearing.
Winds of change do not thrill.

How strangely still
the water is today.
Peaceful thoughts; I get my fill.

And then the clouds converge,
driven by gusts of icy breath;
a nasty dose of a late season surge.

Before the storm, it seemed quite warm.
How strangely still
the water was today. Such a rapid decay!


** Inspired by "Sea Calm", by Langston Hughes
 
 
Walt

2 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with the piece that inspired this affecting and effective work. I'll be sure to look that up. Nice job, Walt.

    M.E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very short piece. Six short lines. Ends with "It is not good for water to be so still that way". I misread it as "It is not good for walter to be so still that way", and it intrigued me. Thanks. Here it is

    Sea Calm

    How still,
    How strangely still
    The water is today,
    It is not good
    For water
    To be so still that way.

    ReplyDelete